Every morning the boy would go climbing on the oldest, largest trees he could find in the forest. It was always so early that the only voices he could hear were the singing of birds and the whistling of leaves as a gentle breeze filled the air. Warm, piercing rays of light would come creeping through the branches.

(The forest where the boy plays every day.)
One morning something odd happened. The boy stumbled across a peculiar tree which stood ominously, enclosed by a field of beautiful flowers. Hesitant at first, the boy gathered his resolve and moved to conquer the tree. He clung to the bark, his hands moving first, then feet, following this rhythm as he moved up the tree. But just as the boy had reached his first branch a terrifying sound erupted.
"You, a mere boy dare to interrupt my slumber!?"
The voice was like a screech that invaded the child's ears and caused such a severe headache that the boy lost control of his grip and fell to the ground. As he lay there writhing in pain, a spider-like creature sped down the tree until its red eyes and fangs, like those of a saber-toothed cat, were but inches from the boy’s face. The creature resembled a human if not for its four arms and legs, covered in thorns. This was a Rakshasa.
"I would eat you right now if not for that wretched stench," howled the beast.
The boy had soiled himself. He remained on the ground shivering uncontrollably as the demon's rancid breath puffed against his face. The child tried to open his mouth to speak, but all that escaped was sobbing. So he closed his eyes and curled up into a ball, quivering in fear. The boy heard yet another screech from the demon.
"Surely, you are blessed by the gods," said the beast, "for I am quite tired today."
"But listen carefully," snarled the Rakshasa. "While you were cowering in fear I, the great Ishnana, placed a curse on you. For whichever tree you attempt to climb will open up and devour you whole."
As Ishnana scurried up the tree, the boy dragged himself in shame as far as he could get from the demon.
During the next few days the child fell into a severe depression. While he sat on a riverbank, a great shadow loomed over him. As he turned around, the child gazed upon a huge vulture descending upon him. The bird moved so quickly that the boy could only shield his face from the strong gust of wind. To the child's surprise the vulture began to speak.
"What has you troubled?" asked the vulture. "I have flown over these woods many times and witnessed you running about gleefully. But today you sit in silence."
With tears in his eyes the boy explained the events that had occurred.
"Dear boy, you are in luck for I know of this creature's weakness," responded the bird.
And so they devised a plan to defeat Ishnana. The boy climbed onto the bird's back and they set off to gather materials for their plan.
Several days later the child cautiously approached Ishnana's tree and called out.
"Oh great one, please allow me to repay you for the mercy that you showed me the other day," declared the child.
The boy stood in silence, anxiously awaiting Ishnana's reply. But there was silence. With a sigh of dismay, the child turned around. But as he was making his way to the riverbank, the tree shook violently. Ishana's thorny limbs scraped and stabbed the tree as he hurried to the ground.
"Not once, but twice you have disturbed me," replied Ishnana in anger. "Explain yourself at once!"
"I noticed that you maintain a beautiful garden," said the child. "But I have found one filled with even more exotic plants."
"Nonsense, there is no such garden in this forest!" shouted Ishnana. "Show me the way and I shall decide for myself!"
The demon did indeed have a weakness for flowers. He collected and planted them tirelessly for his garden. They eventually came before a clearing where the light shone beautifully at its center. And at this point lay a glorious plot of flowers, with colors known only to the Gods.
"Incredible! Some of these flowers cannot be found in this world," said Ishnana as he approached the plot. "How did you discover such a thing?"
But before the creature could hear a response, the ground beneath him crumbled. Ishnana was plunging further and further into a deep pit. At this moment the vulture arrived.
"Jatayu, why have you come here!?" asked Ishnana as he struggled to climb out of the hole. "Is this your doing!?"
"Yes it is I, Jatayu, protector of this forest," said the bird."You have harmed one of my protected creatures and so I sentence you to remain at the bottom of this hole, beneath the flowers you so admire.”
Jatayu then rose up and with two flaps of his wings gathered enough dirt to fill the hole. As Ishnana tried to claw his way out, roots shot out of the inner walls of the pit and like rope restrained the demon. The flowers were indeed otherworldly for they fed on the energy of Rakshasas. Ishnana could only remain there helplessly as the flowers sucked away his life. With the hole sealed, the boy turned to Jatayu in praise.
"Thank you for saving me. I do not deserve such a guardian," said the boy.
"Oh, but few are worthier of protection," responded Jatayu."For I did not appear to you by chance. The gods sent me to protect you. You are to be a great leader. You will nurture a champion among gods, the one who will break Shiva's bow."
"I do not understand," replied the child. "But I hope that we can be friends."
With a look of great joy, the vulture replied, "Surely, we will be brothers."
"You, a mere boy dare to interrupt my slumber!?"
The voice was like a screech that invaded the child's ears and caused such a severe headache that the boy lost control of his grip and fell to the ground. As he lay there writhing in pain, a spider-like creature sped down the tree until its red eyes and fangs, like those of a saber-toothed cat, were but inches from the boy’s face. The creature resembled a human if not for its four arms and legs, covered in thorns. This was a Rakshasa.
"I would eat you right now if not for that wretched stench," howled the beast.
The boy had soiled himself. He remained on the ground shivering uncontrollably as the demon's rancid breath puffed against his face. The child tried to open his mouth to speak, but all that escaped was sobbing. So he closed his eyes and curled up into a ball, quivering in fear. The boy heard yet another screech from the demon.
"Surely, you are blessed by the gods," said the beast, "for I am quite tired today."
"But listen carefully," snarled the Rakshasa. "While you were cowering in fear I, the great Ishnana, placed a curse on you. For whichever tree you attempt to climb will open up and devour you whole."
As Ishnana scurried up the tree, the boy dragged himself in shame as far as he could get from the demon.
During the next few days the child fell into a severe depression. While he sat on a riverbank, a great shadow loomed over him. As he turned around, the child gazed upon a huge vulture descending upon him. The bird moved so quickly that the boy could only shield his face from the strong gust of wind. To the child's surprise the vulture began to speak.
"What has you troubled?" asked the vulture. "I have flown over these woods many times and witnessed you running about gleefully. But today you sit in silence."
With tears in his eyes the boy explained the events that had occurred.
"Dear boy, you are in luck for I know of this creature's weakness," responded the bird.
And so they devised a plan to defeat Ishnana. The boy climbed onto the bird's back and they set off to gather materials for their plan.
Several days later the child cautiously approached Ishnana's tree and called out.
"Oh great one, please allow me to repay you for the mercy that you showed me the other day," declared the child.
The boy stood in silence, anxiously awaiting Ishnana's reply. But there was silence. With a sigh of dismay, the child turned around. But as he was making his way to the riverbank, the tree shook violently. Ishana's thorny limbs scraped and stabbed the tree as he hurried to the ground.
"Not once, but twice you have disturbed me," replied Ishnana in anger. "Explain yourself at once!"
"I noticed that you maintain a beautiful garden," said the child. "But I have found one filled with even more exotic plants."
"Nonsense, there is no such garden in this forest!" shouted Ishnana. "Show me the way and I shall decide for myself!"
The demon did indeed have a weakness for flowers. He collected and planted them tirelessly for his garden. They eventually came before a clearing where the light shone beautifully at its center. And at this point lay a glorious plot of flowers, with colors known only to the Gods.
"Incredible! Some of these flowers cannot be found in this world," said Ishnana as he approached the plot. "How did you discover such a thing?"
But before the creature could hear a response, the ground beneath him crumbled. Ishnana was plunging further and further into a deep pit. At this moment the vulture arrived.
"Jatayu, why have you come here!?" asked Ishnana as he struggled to climb out of the hole. "Is this your doing!?"
"Yes it is I, Jatayu, protector of this forest," said the bird."You have harmed one of my protected creatures and so I sentence you to remain at the bottom of this hole, beneath the flowers you so admire.”
Jatayu then rose up and with two flaps of his wings gathered enough dirt to fill the hole. As Ishnana tried to claw his way out, roots shot out of the inner walls of the pit and like rope restrained the demon. The flowers were indeed otherworldly for they fed on the energy of Rakshasas. Ishnana could only remain there helplessly as the flowers sucked away his life. With the hole sealed, the boy turned to Jatayu in praise.
"Thank you for saving me. I do not deserve such a guardian," said the boy.
"Oh, but few are worthier of protection," responded Jatayu."For I did not appear to you by chance. The gods sent me to protect you. You are to be a great leader. You will nurture a champion among gods, the one who will break Shiva's bow."
"I do not understand," replied the child. "But I hope that we can be friends."
With a look of great joy, the vulture replied, "Surely, we will be brothers."
Author's Note
I
was motivated to write this story as sort of an origin to Rama's father. I
thought that it would be interesting to know a little more about the great king
who had raised so many respected sons. I then remembered his relationship with
Jatayu and how it was mentioned that the two characters had had a longstanding
relationship with each other before the events of the Ramayana. So creating my
own take on his origin story seemed like an interesting idea.
While
reading the Ramayana I was under the impression that Jatayu’s relationship with
Dasaratha was born out of battles that they had fought together. But rather
than create an elaborate battle sequence or political conflict, depicting the
intensity of their bond within this plot seemed more effective. This story is more akin to a cautionary tale
than a tragic war story. The innocence of the main
protagonist in this story contrasts nicely with the Rakshasa and creates a
deeper bond between the reader and Dasaratha,who is seen not as an unforgiving and
resilient king but as a vulnerable human. Forests are quite often used as metaphors
for a character’s growth and triumph over adversity, while the monster often
reflects a vice that is common to humanity. Therefore, I believe that I must
have been influenced by such plot devices while composing my own work.
The name of the rakshasa was meant to be an allusion to the character Anansi, who is an icon of West African and Caribbean folklore. I only began thinking of Anansi while I was trying to come up with a name for the demon. But it is possible that Anansi had been influencing my decision to use a spider-like creature from the beginning.
The name of the rakshasa was meant to be an allusion to the character Anansi, who is an icon of West African and Caribbean folklore. I only began thinking of Anansi while I was trying to come up with a name for the demon. But it is possible that Anansi had been influencing my decision to use a spider-like creature from the beginning.
Bibliography:
Narayan's Ramayana, 1972 .
This was a really great story, if I had not written your author’s note I wouldn’t have known the little boy was Rama’s father. Nevertheless, you did a really outstanding job at giving him an intricate and complex background. I love it when people give a depth to the characters that we otherwise wouldn’t have seen. I only had one teensy problem, during the speaking bits I didn’t always know who was talking right away. Eventually, I was told but I was kind of left in state of confusion. Overall, I do like your story and I hope I get to read more in the future.
ReplyDeleteHi again Eaton,
ReplyDeleteI love that you made this like a background story for Rama's father. You did a really good job building more depth and history to events that were before Rama's time. We don't seem to get enough information about him, but he clearly was dear to Rama. Like Jessica said, the dialogue parts could be cleaned up a bit more to prevent confusion, but overall a very good job! Looking forward to reading more from you! :)
This was an outstanding story, Eaton. Your author's note was incredible and it shows that you put a lot of thought into how you have constructed the story. I like to hear what was going through an author's head when constructing a good piece of writing so that I can improve my own writing and maybe incorporate some of those successful elements into my stories. The thing I like most about this particular piece was that it is an origin story for a character (Dashartha) that is not explained too thoroughly in the Ramayana. Great work, and I look forward to reading more from you.
ReplyDeleteEaton,
ReplyDeleteThis was a wonderful father. I think your writing is incredible. It is full of description and it flows wonderfully. It is very engaging and keeps the reader wanting to know more. I think you did a great job of developing the story and I love that you made the story read as though it is an origin to Rama's father. That is such a unique idea that I thought worked really well for this project! I think the story would be enhanced with a few more pictures for descriptive and aesthetic purposes! Great job, I look forward to reading more of your writing!
This story was very well modeled after stories that we have read from the Mahabharata. I absolutely loved your description of the Rakshasa that the young boy encountered in the woods. He was terrifying and I could understand why the boy would be in such fear. One element that i loved about this troy overall was that you never gave away any details about the characters or plot up front. You made the reader sit there and think critically for a while before you finally revealed that the vulture was actually Jatayu! I had assumed it was but I wasn't for sure so when you revealed it was I was very proud of myself. You completely surprised me when you revealed that the young boy was actually Rama's father! That was such a great plot twist! Especially the way you described it. Lastly, I really appreciated the effort that you put into your Author's note. I feel like majority of us don't pay much attention to the hidden meaning in the characters depiction and this environment the story is set in, but obviously you do and that makes the story that much greater.
ReplyDeleteEaton, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The plot feels as if it could have been ripped out of a myth or a fable. Your descriptive language really helped me get into the story, and I particularly liked the picture you picked for the forest. It has a contrasting feel of light and dark which I think fits well with the setting which houses both powerful good and evil. Overall, I can see that you put a lot of effort in your story, and it came out really well. I'm looking forward to reading more from you.
ReplyDeleteEaton, this was a very interesting story. I am glad that we get more insight into Rama's father as I was also curious to his roots. I really enjoyed the overall structure to your story and how you developed the plot. I myself have never presented the information in my story quite like you have done and am interested in trying it out. In addition, I thought the image that you uploaded with your story helped to add imagery to the story. Having the picture of the forest really helps me to envision your story and get into it. I also found it interesting the setup of good and evil in your story. All in all, I am interested to try this style of storytelling in my future writings. I look forward to more of your postings and I hope to spur off more ideas from your writing. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteEaton,
ReplyDeleteI think it is really cool how you gave a story laying out Dasaratha and Jatayu's relationship before the Ramayana. It is neat that you were able to give such a creative story between the two friends. I feel like this would be a great addition to the Ramayana, honestly! It gives the reader a better idea of the kind of close bond that they share! I also really liked how you did not have to know anything about the Ramayana to enjoy the story because the time period was set before the Ramayana! You did such a great job! I really like your ideas and creativity! I had the opportunity to read your first story awhile back and I fully enjoyed that one as well. Something I noticed that you did differently on this one was you made the font larger and formatted it in a way that flowed nicely. Thank you for sharing your awesome story!
Eaton, I really enjoyed this story of yours! I love that you described Dasaratha and Jatayu's relationship prior to the Ramayana. Such a creative read! You did a great job of developing the plot. The story is appealing to the eyes and not too cluttered. I like that you put a picture at the beginning of the story to set to scene. Great job!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this story, Eaton. I had never given any thought to the history of Rama's father and Jatayu. You did such an excellent job replicating the feel of the Ramayana that I could see this actually being part of it. The way that the dialog occurred as well as the personality of the characters really captured that of the Ramayana's tales. I wonder, did you do this intentionally, or did it just come about naturally? Either way, it turned out great.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the resolution to the story as well. It was so creative. Instead of ending in a battle, as I probably would have written it, it ends with the Rakshasa being buried alive. This definitely made the tale more interesting for me. I enjoy when stories take paths that I did not expect.
The structure of the story is without issue. It is broken up into nice chunks. This makes it easier to follow and easier to find details after finishing the story. The dialog and narration also flow together nicely. Overall, I really enjoyed this story and look forward to reading more in the future.
I loved this story! You did SUCH a great job with structuring it. Breaking it up like this made it easy to follow and read. I also just really liked your charcters. You really got the characters down right.
ReplyDeleteAdditionally it felt like I was reading a myth, which is so great! You did such a great job with this. I honestly don't have any suggestions. I like everything I read in this story! Well done!
Hi, Eaton!
ReplyDeleteI was originally attracted to this story due to the description shown on Laura’s list of portfolio links. I generally try to stay away from battle descriptions—I don’t know that I would have much of a knack for it—but I love reading other people’s battle stories. I was definitely drawn to the thought of someone fighting a spider demon!
I was instantly drawn in by your rich descriptions—there are so many talented writers in this course! I loved the line “hesitant at first, the boy gathered his resolve and moved to conquer the tree”—it was so relatable! I think most kids have stood at the foot of a tree they were about to climb and set themselves to “conquer” it. Your description of the Rakshasha was fantastic, as well! I can’t blame the boy for losing his courage.
I also really liked how you wrapped up the story. You did such a good job of creating a camaraderie between the vulture and the little boy, and I was really satisfied by the ending. It is sometimes hard to create and wrap up an entire story in 1000 words, but you did a great job! Overall, I really liked your story!
You use very good descriptive words in your story. It is also very well polished – sounds like you don’t need many changes! I have had a hard time incorporating the Rakshasas in my stories due to their ambiguous nature – I am just not sure what exactly they are. I really enjoyed this story and think it even helped me to understand them a bit more.
ReplyDeleteHello Eaton,
ReplyDeleteThis is the first time that I am reading your retell story. I enjoyed reading the story. The thing I really liked was the history. You did a really good job in describing the history before Rama. In addition to that, I liked it how it was very informative and good details were given throughout the story. You did a good job on describing how he was a great father and did a lot for Rama. The story itself was very smooth read and straightforward. The image you used was also nice to give us some idea of where the boys played. Next, you did a good job in author’s note as well. The author’s note was very nice and descriptive which helped the reader in comparing it with the original story and distinguish your creativity in your retell. Great story. Thanks for sharing you great ideas with us throughout the semester.
Eaton,
ReplyDeleteI loved that you took an unconventional approach to this story. I had not thought to write about Rama's dad before and you wrote him as a child. This was such a creative story! I love that you used characters we knew but presented them to us in a different way. Overall, you did a fantastic job with this story!
Your storytelling style is awesome! Every detail you included really brings everything to life. The story seemed very authentic and stuck to the same stylings of the Indian stories, which made it very familiar to read. I thought it was really neat that you made that connection at the end with the comment, “Surely, we will be brothers.” That was very clever!
ReplyDeleteHey Eaton! I love the way you tell your stories! You are really good at bringing out every detail so that we can fully understand what is going on. It also helps us as the readers put a picture to your story. Very interesting that you still used characters we knew but presented them to us in a different way! Overall it was great read!
ReplyDeleteHi Eaton! It was great to read your take of the story about Dasaratha. I did not realize that just because he became a noble king later on, he did not struggle before. You are amazingly descriptive and it always an intriguing quality to me. I loved the way you even were creative in choosing the appearance of the Rakshasa.
ReplyDeleteHi Eaton! This was such a cool story! I am so impressed by the creative details you incorporated into the plot and characters. I felt really drawn into the plot pretty much immediately and your clear writing made the whole story really fun to read. I also love how much effort you put into your author's note; it was really helpful of me in understanding the context of the story and your thought process. Great job!
ReplyDelete