Monday, February 8, 2016

Week 3: Famous Last Words

For week 3 I believe that I did the most reading and writing than the first or second week. To be honest I usually do not enjoy the idea of anything akin to creative writing. The process of creating something artistic or entertaining from nothing can be an intimidating process. This thinking has definitely permeated other aspects of my life such as with my hobbies. With drawing for example I always prefer to sketch from models than to try and produce drawings from memory. Maybe I'm reaching too much with that connection but the main idea here is that I was not expecting to like storytelling for this class.

However, I find myself interested in finding ways to tell stories on The Ramayana that sometimes warp the thinking and motivations of the characters. I was surprised at myself for being able to write more than 500 words in my last storytelling exercise. I honestly was not sure how the story would turn out but then something strange happened. I started imagining the beginning and conclusion of the story first and then tasked myself with getting from "point A" to "point B". Eventually, I started worrying that I would not have enough words left to finish the story in the way that I had imagined and I began to think that if I had more than 1000 words that maybe I could better describe the anxiety among the King's subjects or the atmosphere of chaos spreading throughout the castle in my story. The whole experience of writing these stories reminds me of my art classes in high school and how much I preferred to create appropriations rather than create my own artwork. So maybe I just enjoy manipulating the aspects of stories rather than writing my own.

In my opinion those "what-if" scenarios offer an entertainment value that varies depending on the reader. For some the peculiarity of the story alone may keep their attention while others may find the stories entertaining for their ability to confront elements of the original text and offer alternative endings for the characters, sometimes endings of which we believe they are more deserving.


These exercises have definitely made me lean towards the storybook assignment for this class.
(Even the most outlandish stories often reflect values and experiences that are relevant to the reader)

No comments:

Post a Comment